I only raced Copperopolis 3 or 4 times back in the early 90's but each race always left an impression on me.
Here are a few memories I just can't shake:
- The hellacious wind coming off the reservoir right on your nose
- Kevin Livingston dropping the remnants of the field off at the top of the climb like he was a school bus driver
- Chad Gerlach verbally eviscerating his dad in the feed zone. "don't tell me how to race, Dude!"
- Counting all 9 souls left in the break when it was the district road race championships
- LGBRC guy climbing back up to the road with a stick poking out of his helmet & collarbone out of this kit
- Racing my own "teammates" when it was part of the Gold Nugget Stage Race - 1992
- Poaching water bottles in the feed zone from some guys very patient girlfriend
- After turning senior, forgetting that we had to do 5 laps
- Camping out in a baseball dugout the night before with Hunter Allen, Eric Rekkas, and Kev McGillicuddy
- Watching Kevin Livingston try to kick in the side of his Saturn vehicle claiming they were dent resistant
- Hanging on to Trent Klasna and Jimmy Robinson as if my life depended on it
It is a coarse of beauty!
Got any memories of this California Classic?