Monday, November 26, 2012

Douge E. Fresh - "yea, yea, ready Freddie"

Freddie finally met someone lighter than him - Cory Caletti




Sir Silky sitting on the front as usual 




I came across the Doug E. Fresh B-day Boogie while returning from a call in south county and little did I know they (Caletti John, Caletti Cory, Big Mike, Fresh, wonder boy Tyson, Travis, Jeff 'Guitar' Traugott, and family Bob) had the one and only Fred Rodriguez in tow. The last time I saw Freddie was at the 1991 Junior National Road Race in San Antonio Texas where Jeff Evenshine paid Freddy back for helping him win the 91' Junior Worlds Road Race on the Garden of the Gods coarse in Colorado Springs. By paying him back I mean Fred won the race and put on the Stars and Stripes for the first of many S&S ceremonies of his lengthy career. I was in the chase (laughing) group with the likes of Hincapie, Evenshine, Livingston, and Vaughters. It was so miserably hot that day we took our jerseys off and stuffed them in our bibs. While Fred was standing on the podium, I noticed the duct tape wrapped cycling shoes.

Freddie pedaled with the SW crew to Monterey where he continued on to Big Sur chasing the coast line to the south. It is amazing to think that he has gone from those humble beginnings to bagging a stage win in the Giro and 2nd at Milan San Remo! If memory serves me correct I think Cipo got him at the line? He has started his own cycle clothing line www.fastfreddiecycling.com and the garments are made in California. A SW boogie invite is already in the works...


No comments:

Post a Comment